Get a lawyer / legal advice

Workplace Bullying jacket 2015.cleaned

A generous reader shared their book with us.  Its a fantastic book to read & for help with your legal cases against NT GOV.  You can download it in 2 parts, click on the links:

part 1: Part 1

part 2: Part 2


Updated legal assistance:

These lawyers have all been recommended by nurses who have taken on their
employer. It is skewed toward the NT because it is so hard to find a decent
lawyer there.
1. Ron Hope. Based in Darwin close to the airport. Used to work for the NT health
department as a solicitor. Has a record of successful litigation outcomes for workers
against the NT health and education departments. Also specialises in defamation. Call 08 8945 5557.
2. Cassandra Ellis of Pipers Solicitors in Darwin. Good for Workcover & AHPRA matters.
She is a former AHPRA solicitor and ex nurse. Call 08 8981 4114.
3. Matthew Littlejohn. Maurice Blackburn. Darwin. Used to do no win no fee. Workers Comp.  Now independent barrister:
Negligence. Running lots of cases for workers against the NT public sector. Meticulous
attention to detail.
4. Shine Lawyers. Gold Coast. Queensland. Does no win no fee. Workcover, litigation,
negligence. Took on Queensland Health with no qualms who settled very quickly once they became involved. Call 07 3084 8415.
5. Chapmans barristers and solicitors. Perth WA Call 08 9325 4500. For WA bullying, AHPRA and Workcover cases.
WACHS became totally compliant once these guys represented me. They have had
success versus WACHS. Don’t hand hold but got the job done.
6. Geraldine Hannon of Duncan, Basheer & Hannon. Adelaide. SA. Call 1800 324 324.
Offices all over South Australia. E. Employment, Personal Injury.
She is a former nurse and midwife who understand the bullying culture in Health industry.
Known to have got good compensation payouts for nurses. Does no win no fee.


Ron Hope has a shitload of experience fighting NT Department of Education (load of shit). His contact details are on the right hand side of our page:

Or you could visit: to find details of other lawyers.

Best advice we ever gave: GET A LAWYER. Documents to help ur case that can’t be retrieved thru Freedom of Information (FOI) can be gotten thru Legal Discovery instead. GET DIGGIN PEOPLE!!!

Understanding how to read legislation is good start if you want to understand how the law applies, or could apply, to you. But for fast answers that take your circumstances into account, consider getting legal advice from a lawyer who is familiar with the area of law you need.

Even if you cannot afford a private lawyer, you may be able to get low cost or free legal advice through Legal Aid or a Community Legal Centre.

Regardless of where you go for advice, think ahead.

What key facts and documents will the lawyer need to take into account?
What questions do you need answered?
In general, the more you prepare, the better the advice you will get and the less it will cost.

Do you qualify for Legal Aid?

If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may qualify for legal aid services. These services are funded by the Australian Government and/or your State or Territory Government, depending on whose laws the matter relates to. Matters dealt with by legal aid commissions include:

criminal matters, that is, legal representation of a person charged with a criminal offence

civil matters including:discrimination on the basis of disability, gender, marital status, or race;
benefits and compensation payable by the Commonwealth,
consumer protection,
claims relating to professional negligence, loss or destruction of property, personal injury, and wills and estates;

family law issues such as injunctions relating to family violence, orders relating to children and spousal/child maintenance.

Information and telephone advice is generally available free of charge, but you may be asked to contribute towards the costs of other services where available. Formal legal representation is generally only available for matters which pass a ‘means and merits’ test. While the details vary:

the means test looks at your income, assets and the likely cost of proceeding, and
the merits test looks at your prospect of success, whether a prudent person would risk their own money on the matter and whether it is appropriate to spend public money on it.

Can a Community Legal Centre help?

Community legal centres are not-for-profit organisations and do NOT generally deal with issues such as taxation and commercial disputes. Instead, they provide information, advice and referrals on matters relevant to their local community, or on a specific issue or issues such as:

child support
child protection and youth issues
civil litigation
discrimination against you or somebody important to you because of an actual or perceived disability
environmental protection
welfare rights (Centrelink and Family Assistance income support and benefit issues)
women’s issues such as family law, violence against women, discrimination and employment.

There is usually no means test at community legal centres and, while centres may have paid staff, some activities may be carried out by local volunteers or by university students undertaking clinical legal education. Some centres also operate outreach services to address the particular needs of indigenous people and people in rural and remote areas.

How should you choose a private lawyer?

There are a number of ways to choose a lawyer. Not all lawyers will practice in the area of law you need, and you will want a lawyer whose advice you can take with confidence.

One option is to ask around. Does a friend or acquaintance know somebody who works in the area of law you need, and were they satisfied with their services? Doctors, accountants, trade unions, industry bodies and even other lawyers will often have useful contacts.

Regardless of which option you use, you may need to talk to several lawyers before you find the right lawyer for you.